Have irritation and itching in eyes. tear comes when eyes are strained. Advise?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I have irritation in itching in my eyes. When I sit in front of laptop for long hours I feel strain in my eyes. Also sometimes tear come out of my eyes in case of strain. Please suggest me for the same.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Naseem 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query here.

Itching and irritation in the eyes are seen in a host of eye related problems. Commonest among them are ocular allergies and dry eye.

In a person with a tendency to ocular allergies, the following are often present: History or tendency to dust allergies, discomfort in the presence of chemicals like paint.
Seasonal rhinitis or a runny nose and frequent respiratory tract infections.

Sitting in front of the laptop for long periods especially in an air conditioned environment causes what is called Computer Vision Syndrome where there is eye strain, redness, burning and blurred vision with a dry sensation of the eyes.

Treatment involves:
Resting the eyes for 3 to 4 minutes every hour by shutting the eyes.
Using lubricating eye drops 3 times a day in both eyes.
Having an eye test to check for any spectacle number or a change in glasses.
Using cold compresses on the eyes at night for a few days.

If the itching is allergic in nature, try improving your immunity with vitamin C tablets for a month and start anti inflammatory eye drops to reduce symptoms.

Hope this helps. Do write back for anything further.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have irritation and itching in eyes. tear comes when eyes are strained. Advise? 6 minutes later
Please suggest me eye drops or medicines required for the same.

Answered by Dr. Naseem 11 minutes later
There are various lubricating eye drop preparations available for use. Choose one that contains a component called carboxymethyl cellulose. Refresh Tears eye drops are such preparation.

If an anti inflammatory eye drop is needed, a preparation containing Ketorolac has the desired effect used for a period of 5 days.

The lubricating eye drops need to be used for at least 2 weeks for benefit.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have irritation and itching in eyes. tear comes when eyes are strained. Advise? 2 minutes later
thanks a lot mam.

Answered by Dr. Naseem 5 days later
Thank you too.

Take care!