Have irritated palate and gum line. Feel burning in mouth and tongue. Entered menopause. What could be the cause?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi There... I am a healthy 53 year old woman with an unsusual mouth syndrome. For the past 1.5 years, I have an irritated palate and irritation along the gum line.. though there is no visible evidence of anything wrong. When it first started, I would occasionally feel a slight burning in my mouth and tongue so I thought it might be burning mouth syndrome but that has passed. Two dentists have assured me that there is nothing unusual and a culture indicated that the bacteria in my mouth is normal. At times, my mouth feels chaulky... at times, it feels like there are little crystals forming in the my mouth to the point that I am even dreaming about small plastic things being in my mouth. I have an unconscious tendency to run my tongue over the irritated gumline and palate and don't even know I am doing it at times. I have just entered menopause and I know that mouth irritation can come with changing horomones. I am being treated for "liver toxicity" by a Chinese herbalist but so far, no luck. He says that western medicine might consider this a food allergy. Any ideas? There is no pain but it really is annoying. I have tried many types of natural toothpastes and am now using an Ayurvedic one with neem. I have also tried oil pulling with coconut oil where I put oil in my mouth and swish it around for 20 minutes and then spit it out. When my attention is fully absorbed in work or a movie, at times I am able to forget about it and not be bothered. But it is the first sensation I experience upon waking in the morning.... the irritated upper mouth. The bottom palate and mouth feel completely normal. I do travel a lot and was in Myanmar and Cuba 6 months prior to the onset of this. Don't know if I could have picked up some type of odd bacteria but as I said, I did have my saliva tested and nothing was unusual. Help please!
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your query and going by the description you have provided,following work up is needed for further line of management:

1.     Dental and periodontal disease are ruled out and because you said that symptoms are experienced more in the morning could be burning mouth syndrome! Although you say it has passed.
2.     Any habit of taking tobacco in any form? Or any unusual physical-emotional-mental stress?
3.     As you said “you just entered menopause” whereas your age is 53 years,did you attained this stage late? (as hormonal changes (decrease In estrogen level)can be one of the cause of sore mouth)
4.     Do you catch illness easily which can help with the Immune status ?
5.     Deficiency of Vitamin B12 and folate can also result in sore mouth,make sure your levels are within normal limit.
6.     Any difficulty with swallowing, fluid intake or white patches on the roof of the mouth?
7.     Your nutritional status,sleep pattern,or in habit of taking food products like potatoes,citrus fruits,coffee,cheese,nuts and chocolates?
8.     It could be possible that your visit to Myanmar/Cuba might have resulted in contact with bacteria or virus resulting in sore mouth.
9.     Saliva test came normal thus dry mouth is also remote possibility.
10.     People with sinus infection,respiratory disease, acid reflux problems also has this strange chalky feeling of mouth, any symptoms of the said disease in you?

Please revert back with your concerns regarding the same for further line of treatment and management.

Dr. Munish Sood
MD. (Ayu.) Kayachikitsa
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika Clinic