Have irritable bowel syndrome. Is this IBS or fecal incontinence?

hello. i am 23 and am a male. i doubt i have irritable bowel syndrome. i lost my bowels 4 times for the past 6 years and i have no other symptoms. and 2 of them recently in the past 6 months.i want to know is that really ibs because i hold it for a long time for about 30 minutes and due to unavailability of washroom i lost my bowels. please clarify me because am feeling very embarrassed and am unable to discuss with anyone. is this ibs or fecal incontinence please help me out
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most probably IBS-related

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

I have gone through your query and between IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and fecal incontinence, your presentation matches IBS more than fecal incontinence.

IBS results in irritation of the bowels putting pressure on the bowels leading to an increased urge to pass your bowels at the earliest, whereas, fecal incontinence is a condition wherein an individual has a bowel movement unknowingly (without even having the sensation of wanting to pass their bowels).

I hope this information helped. Do write back to me if you wish to learn more about IBS, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.