Have irritable bowel-diarrhea. Globs of mucus from rectum. Also gas issue. What does the symptom mean?

I have irritable bowel-diarrhea type (since my early 20's)but I have a new symptom
since August 2011. I have globs of mucus coming out of my rectum daily. Sometimes I urinate & mucus just comes out of my rectum. Approximately 1 TBSP at a time. No obvious blood.

I also have lots of gas & bloating. My gut is constantly making noise especially after I eat.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Irritable bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease of the gut and is characterised by abdominal discomfort relieved by passage of stools. IBS usually stays the same over decades. Any new symptom should be investigated and other causes ruled out before attributing to IBS.

Further the anal fissure is not associated with IBS and one has to look for a recurrence.

If all your symptoms have to interpret together, we need to rule out an inflammatory bowel disease. Hence I would suggest stool routine examinations on three days, serum C Reactive Protein (Quantitative) and a colonoscopy. A gastroenterologist can streamline the tests to you.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you speedy recovery.