Ask a Dentist   »  

Have irregular teeth. Should I go for invisible braces or lingual treatment?

Hello Doctor, I have a problem in taking a decision. I have visited 2 dentist who is a orthodontist. My problem start with basically with aligning of teeth. I had visited to consult to one of the dentist about going for lingual which costs 0000/- to align my teeth.
Then, I thought of going for a second opinion to another orthodontist, this time he adviced me to go for invisible braces which is better than lingual as it is less painful, no complicated procedure, and faster results. But, this treatment is much more expensive than lingual treatment.
I exactly want to now which treatment is good for my teeth giving 100% result in aligning of teeth as both the treatment are giving the same output.
I am depending on your response, please help me in getting the right information.

Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 35 minutes later

Orthodontic appliances are used to align the irregularly placed teeth into a normal occlusion.

As per the details provided by you,fixed appliances has to be put for correcting your malaligned teeth.

Regarding the different types of appliances available,There are-

1.Beggs appliance-made of NICKEL-TITANIUM Stainless steel wire in which the metal brackets provide a mechanical interlock between the bonding material and the attachment surface.

2.ceramic/invisible appliances-In which the ceramic brackets provide either mechanical/chemical interlocking .But the strength of chemical bonds can become high enough to create problems in debonding .

So mechanical retention now is preferred for ceramic as per the output of treatment.

The only advantage of invisible braces over metal braces is aesthetics.

The output result is absolutely greater for metal braces,eventhough it is aesthetically compromised.

The invisible braces are expensive due to the high cost material used for making such braces.
As your orthodontist suggested,the faster result through invisible braces by applying heavy orthodontic forces,chance of relapse is very high.

If you are too aesthetically concerned,you can go for invisible braces.

If you are looking only into the output of treatment,metal braces will be adequate.

Your othodontist will plan the treatment as per clinical and radiological examination,ie,OPG.

Hope this suffices.

I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have irregular teeth. Should I go for invisible braces or lingual treatment? 24 hours later
So if I understand metal braces will give me 100% output than invisible braces & the chances of metal braces getting realpsed is minimum as compared to invisible braces.

Only for Aesthetic purpose Invisible braces are convenient than metal braces.
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 5 minutes later

Thanks for giving your feedback.

As I said, metal braces are economic and will give the result adequately.

If you are aesthetically very concerned, you can prefer for invisible braces.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Follow-up: Have irregular teeth. Should I go for invisible braces or lingual treatment? 1 hour later
But you said that invisible braces relapse than lingual braces and also in lingual treatment, the braces are put behind the tooth so that is also having aesthetic look.

If money is not a problem then i am interested in invisible braces as it is lees painful but i want 100% output after i go for that treatment... the look i want is only after the treatment when my teeth are aligned.

Please suggest me the treatment wit less duration & less painful and a durable treatment.
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 26 minutes later

The treatment plan and its output depends on how much the teeth has proclined. I would not suggest you to go for lingual braces if your teeth is overcrowded - as that would cause more intense pain.

To summarize, you could choose either of the braces based on the following pre-requisites:

1. If there is overcrowding of teeth (based on clinical examination and radiological teeth) - choose invisible brace.
2. If there is no overcrowding of teeth AND your aim is for a better looking teeth - choose lingual braces. Please note that metal brace are not aesthetic in appearance.
3. If money does not matter and you are worried about appearance while on the braces - choose invisible braces.

Lingual braces can hurt your gums as well as interfere with speech, swallowing, etc. You can discuss your concerns with your orthodontist.

I hope this helped. I will be pleased to answer your other concerns.