Have irregular periods, heavy menstrual flow, gained weight. Have cyst and thyroid. Will pills help control thyroid?

Question
Am 25 yr old married 10 months back, am having irregular periods and heavy flow after marriage and i have gain weight from last 4 months.i consulted doctor she told me am having cyst and thyroid. for that they hav given XXXXXXX pills for 21 days. do it help me to control thyroid and loss my weight
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

XXXXXXX is an oral contraceptive pill only.

Your doctor has prescribed you XXXXXXX to regularize your periods.

It will neither control tour thyroid nor help in loosing weight.

Your TSH is little high. Normal range is 0.3-4.0. You have not mentioned your T-3 and T-4 level.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma

Follow-up: Have irregular periods, heavy menstrual flow, gained weight. Have cyst and thyroid. Will pills help control thyroid? 4 hours later
what should i do to reduce my weight am 5.6" and weight-74 have gained 9kg in 7 months

Welcome again,

Your weight gain seems to be due to Hypothyroidism. You should consult your physician and start treatment of hypothyroidism.

In addition to treatment, you should do sufficient exercises daily, take balanced diet XXXXXXX in fiber in just sufficient amount, drink plenty of water, avoid sweets and fat(Oil & Ghee).

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma