Have irregular periods and PCOS symptom. Prescribed ovacet tablets. Other medication required?

Hi Doc,

I have irregular periods and an existing PCOS symptom due to stressful work life. We have been trying for a baby since 3years now. I recently saw a gyn and she prescribed ovacet tablets. Can you please suggest if this tablet alone will solve my problem and see a positive pregnancy or is there other medication required too.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a most common endocrine disorder among reproductive age group women. It is associated with hormonal imbalance and improper ovulation, leads to irregular period & infertility to some extent.

If PCOS and irregular cycle are the only your concern, then you can take OVACET as per your doctor's prescription or at least 3-6 months. It contains Myoinositol, L-methyl Folate, Calcium and Vitamin D3 as ingredients which acts by triggering ovulation to regularize period. It is a supportive drug to facilitate your chance of conception.

In addition, ovulation should be monitored in each cycle through serial follicular study (D12-D16 in regular cycle) or you can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) in the mid-cycle. You should involve in unprotected sex close to ovulation time (14 days prior to due date) or fertile days (D12-D18 of 28-30 days cycle) to maximize the chance of pregnancy.

However, if you fail to conceive with above medicine within 6 months, I would treat you in following way.

1) For regular cycle and proper ovulation, I prefer progesterone pill (D16 to D25) and ovulation induction drug (like clomephene) from D2 to D6. Metformin may be needed in case of insulin resistance. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from your gynecologist.

2) You have to undergo some other fertility tests like husband semen analysis, test for tubal patency and cervical factors, D-21 progesterone hormone assay, blood sugar & prolactin level test etc.

3) You must take a healthy balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carbohydrate diet is preferable. Take vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period and there after.

4) Do light exercise for physical fitness and avoid mental stress completely by regular meditation or yoga. Maintain a healthy life style.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for you. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen