Have irregular period. Taking clomid. Done hormonal tests and trans vaginal scan. PCOD?

I hope you can help me with some answers. I have irregular periods. Infact for as long as I can remember, I have always had irregular period. My period is usually between 36 days and as long as 55 days. I tried to find out the reason for this with my Gynaecologist in the past and I never got a straight answer. Instead I was pumped with drugs like Clomid, Metformin etc. One of my previous gynaecologist suggested that I may have PCOS but I am very, very confused!. I moved to the UK last year when I got married and have been trying to get pregnant which is beginning to seem like a herculean task . I have seen my GP who has done blood hormonal blood test(blood glucose level, TSH Level, LH, FSH, Prolactin, differential white cell count, full blood count) for me and everything came back as normal. I have also done a trans vaginal scan with the results as follows:
Anteverted uterus appears smooth in outline and echo texture
Well defined tri laminar endometrium measures 7.8mm
Both ovaries appear normal in size with small peripheral follicles
The left ovary contains a dominant follicle measuring 15.5mm
No free fluid, cysts or adnexal masses identified.

I really don't know what else to do and I am thinking of jumping straight to IVF . Please I will really appreciate some advice.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PCOS possible

Detailed Answer:
I have noted the normal lab results that you have reported.

Consider doing the following blood tests:

Total testosterone
17 hydroxy Progesterone
Fasting lipids

Do you have excessive hair growth on your face/chin, arms, chest, abdomen, thighs or back ?
This can sometimes be present in PCOS

Regardless, it would be a good idea to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist to see if any intervention is warranted
Follow-up: Have irregular period. Taking clomid. Done hormonal tests and trans vaginal scan. PCOD? 5 minutes later
I do have excessive hair growth on my face, abdomen and lower back which is a nightmare but then I come from a hairy family.. I am not over weight like most PCOS patients are, however I noticed that when ever I put on the slightest bit of weight my period seems to become more irregular.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Women with PCOS can be lean too

Detailed Answer:
I see your comments above. The blood tests will complete the picture and allow correct diagnosis.