Have irregular heart beat and very strong pulse in abdomen. Could MVP be causing my strong, periodic epigastric pain?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have been told I have a heart murmur, or irregular heart beat. I sometimes feel it myself, especially if I've had more caffeine. I also have a very strong pulse in my abdomen- to the point where it sometimes shakes the bed at night. I have recently quit caffeine and chocolate because of epigastric pain. - (Im going to have a endoscopy on Friday.) Yet, even though no caffeine, my irregular heart beat has been troubling me sometimes. Also, 6 months ago, after an ECG, the tech asked me if I was an athlete, because my ECG looked like I was. I told her I'm not, yet the P.A. didn't address the issue. Could my left ventricle be enlarged due to Mitral Valve Prolapse. Could MVP be causing my strong, periodic epigastric pain? 1 more point, in childhood, I had repeated strep throat, epstein barr and CMV viral infections. I am 39 yo female. 5'6" 160lbs
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggest cardiology investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There are a few abnormalities that you mention which I suggest need investigating. You have a heart murmur or irregular heart beat. These are two different features which may indicate a heart condition that needs treating. The pulse you feel in your abdomen may be nothing unusual but there is a possibility it is an enlarged aorta which needs assessing. Your slow heart rate may be entirely normal but this could also indicate a heart condition.
However, you are relatively young to have a serious underlying heart condition so I do not wish to alarm you unduly.
With regard to your epigastric pain, it is unlikely to be due to mitral valve prolapse. Your endoscopy will inform you of the cause of this. Finally, the childhood infections you had are most probably incidental and will not have affected your heart.
My suggestion is that you consult a cardiologist for further investigation. You may need a 24 hour ECG and a heart echo and abdominal CT scan.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,