Have involuntary twitching of muscles and muscle movements on leg and thighs. Cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
i have involuntary twitching of muscles and muscle movements on the left leg and thigh
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindy view the details

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Regarding the problem of involuntary twitching of muscles and muscle movements on left leg and thigh, kindly let us know about the following:

1. Any episode of recent acute illness?
2. Any history of injury or trauma to the left leg, thigh or lower back?
3. Involuntary twitching of muscles can be due to neurological damage secondary to Hypertension & Diabetes (known as Hypertensive neuropathy & Diabetic neuropathy respectively).
And you have mentioned about history of Hypertension in your post.
4. Any recent history of inadequate hydration, improper nutrition & lack of sleep?
5. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption?
6. Any other associated features like inability to concentrate or remember things, dizziness, visual disturbances, nausea, bladder & bowel irregularities, etc. ?
7. Even emotional factors like stress/tension can lead to such symptoms.
And you have mentioned about history of anxiety in your post.
8. Prolonged intake of Flupentixol is known to cause side effects like involuntary muscle movements/ tremors.
You can discuss regarding this with your treating Physician & if needed, the medications should be changed.

If your answer to the other questions is NO & your blood pressure & blood sugar levels are in control, then the symptoms can be attributed to inadequate hydration status & electrolyte balance of the body or dietary deficiencies of certain nutrients like Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B 12, Folic acid, etc. which help in blood formation & nerve conduction.
Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet.

If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like fresh estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels, Thyroid profile & nerve conduction studies to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Till then, maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition status, exercise regularly and avoid stress.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Have involuntary twitching of muscles and muscle movements on leg and thighs. Cause? 26 minutes later
i havent had any recent acute illness,hypertenshion is under control,no diabetes, no lower body injuries,my left arm also twitches sometimes,i m worried if its a neurological problem can you clarify if there can be such a case.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adequate hydration, better nutrition, dose reduction
Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Thanks for your follow up query.

In absence of any significant risk factor for Neurological involvement, the symptoms can be attributed to (as I have mentioned in my pervious answer):

1. Inadequate hydration status & electrolyte balance of the body. This can be corrected by maintaining adequate hydration & proper nutrition status.

2. Dietary deficiencies of certain nutrients essential for blood formation & nerve conduction. This can be taken care of by intake of nervigenic agents (like Vit B6, Vit B12, Folic acid) as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements in diet.

3. As a side effect of Flupentixol intake. In this case, symptoms will subside if the medication is changed or the dosage reduced (under guidance of your treating Physician).

If symptoms still persist, kindly visit a Neurologist & get a proper clinical examination done, including nerve conduction studies.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.
If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.
I will be happy to answer them.

Wishing you a Good Health.