Have inverted T waves and a prolonged Qt interval. Can Mirtazapine affect my heart in anyway?

Can Mirtazapine affect my heart in anyway? I have inverted T waves and a prolonged Qt interval. I also have skipped beats occasionally usually the fourth beat is skipped NOT followed by a booming 5 th beat
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

Mirtazapine is known to increase heart rate in few patients. Mirtazapine also causes serotonin syndrome when taken along with some medications especially other antidepressants. Serotonin syndrome results in fast heart rate or irregular heart rate.

So the answer is yes, Mirtazapine does affect heart in few patients. But should we stop it or keep a watch on it - your cardiologist will have final say. Discuss with your cardiologist. Also discuss with your psychiatrist, if there is some other safer alternative.

If you have any other query, I am happy to help you or else kindly close the query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD