Have intradermal naevae on face. Suggested Erbium laser. Would you recommend this procedure?

My 14 year old daughter has what is called a intradermal naevae on her RHS face (mid cheek) which has become aggravated many times so we wish to have it removed. I have been told by a skin doctor that an erbium laser will hopefully remove it although it may be too XXXXXXX Would you recommend this procedure as it seems a better first option to try then cutting it out - but maybe there is a higher chance of undesirable side effects? What is any side effects would be likley?
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later

Intradermal nevus is a bit resistant to lasers as they are too XXXXXXX 100% color match is not possible in the best of cases. In addition, a surgical removal will require a graft and hence color mismatch will remain.

The only advantage of surgical removal is that the chances of recurrence are not there.

Lasers can have side effects like superficial burns, scarring, hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation etc.

However, if the right laser is used with safe parameters by a qualified and experienced laser surgeon the chances of side effects are rare.

Hope this helps you. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Have intradermal naevae on face. Suggested Erbium laser. Would you recommend this procedure? 17 hours later
Wow that has me worried as I was told it was a simple procedure with risks dealt with briefly - and are dragging their feet re providing requested signed consent forms as to risk etc. I believe that the doctor will have sufficient skill although he is not a qualifed laser surgeon where I live he is a fully qualified doctorand he was such overseas- but I do not like to risk it with lasers and was not told that a chance of pigment discolouration could easlily result which I understand cannot be corrected. To be fair he did say that it was possible that the whole intradermal mole would not be is an erbium laser which I understand is the correct laser but I am still to haer which generation/model it is.
I just wish to check that I understand your advice correctly as I now understandably do not wish to proced with this specific treatment as pigmentation results and the naevae could well grow back meaning she is worse off then before.
My daughter really wants this intradermal naevae which is in the middle of her rhs cheek removed and I can understand this as it easiily gets irritated.
What other treatment can you recommend for it tha would get better results
Is say a plasma laser better suited to this task - a bit like the one which melts and then sucks out the swelling in a slipped disc.
I have not heard back from you and am wondering if it is ebcuae I am concered re the advice I rec'd from a another health provider? Where i live we are statue barred to suing for medical matters so you need to be very aware of the situation. I will revert back but would appreciate haveing my request for clarification answered - is there a better treatment to remove this intradermal nevus which is right in the middle of her face?

Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 41 hours later
I am sorry for writing back late. This was due to another commitment and not because you sought some one else's opinion. I think a surgical removal would help us deal with this lesion without making her risk the laser. But we do risk a color mismatch ( it is a possibility which we need to consider) which I think can be corrected using makeup.
This needs to be done by a cosmetic surgeon.
Hope that helps