Have intra oral lump and vein. Both are painless. Chewing tobacco. Lump movable. Guide?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Hi just wondering what a varicose vein leading to a lump in my sulcus mucosa may be. It is an intra oral lump and vein. The vein and lump are painless and have been there for 3 plus years. My dentist didn't think much of it when I showed him. I used chewing tobacco for a few years but have quit. I haven't chewed at that location in my mouth in more than a year. The tissue surrounding the lump and vein are consistent with the rest of the mouth. The lump in pea size and moveable.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
seems benign

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I shall try try help you out.

At the offset let me assure you that most of the swellings in the oral cavity are either normal or benign

Also some lumps and blood vessels maybe distributed all over the oral cavity without any problems or worry

Also since the lump is present for these many years without change, this further implies that it is benign

Having said the above, there is always a slight chance that the lump may be ominous and of course you can be only hundred percent sure of the lump if you know what it is.
The only way to be sure is to take it out by a simple removal and send it for biopsy

I would thus recommend you to consult right any ENT surgeon in your area and do the same as soon as possible

Meanwhile avoid anything spicy or oily

Hope you get well soon and hope your doubts are clear. I would be happy to clear any more doubts that you may have

Dr Sriram Nathan