Have intestinal pain, sore throat, fatigue, anxiety and headaches. Is it my gall bladder? Related to acne or rashes?

Okay, so about two months ago I started having abdominal pain with a few other strange symptoms. Occasionally I would get upper right and lower right quadrant pain (liver & appendix area.) After like three weeks I went to the E.R. one night and they did some general bloodwork and everything came back normal except that one of my liver enzymes were high. The doctor examined me and said she thought that it was my gallbladder and that I should make an appointment with my doctor so that he could order an ultrasound and everything. Then she told me to get some Prilosec OTC and sent me on my way.
So I went to my doctor (by this time the abdominal pain had turned into crampy gut pain), he said he thought the same thing, ordered more bloodwork and an ultrasound. When I went back he said that the bloodwork showed that I had at one time had Hepatitis C but my body had cleared it and that everything else looked normal. He asked me if I'd been vaccinated for Hep B. But I was in gradeschool. He said he though that my symptoms were probably stress related (new job) and that he wanted to see me again in six weeks.
I now am still having symptoms and I have five weeks until my next appointment, so I'm hoping maybe someone can help me out with this. I am 22 year old male 6' 230lbs. My symptoms include:

-intestinal pain
-sore throat that seems like it's from acid in the back of my throat
-irregular bowels (Undigested food and diarrhea mostly)
-occasionally feeling very hot when it is not hot with no fever, like a hot flash
-kinda lightheaded
-no real appetite
-feeling like something is just not right with my body

I would very much appreciate it if someone could help me out with this, it's very possible that some of the symptoms are from anxiety. I just am so nervous about it.

P.S. I don't know if it is related but I had an acne like rash behind my left ear for a couple of days and then it cleared up before reappearing on my left shoulder. It has again cleared up. Probably unrelated, but possibly worth noting.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

You have been having these symptoms since two months and I see that you have not been evaluated well for the same. One can attribute the symptoms to anxiety only after ruling out possibilities .

The following are the possibilities in you
1. Irritable bowel syndrome

As the doctor has suggested. It usually occurs in anxious people. It is associated with both diarrhea and constipation, people have severe crampy pain abdomen and urgency to pass motion most of the time immediately after eating food.

2. Small intestinal bacterial over growth

All your symptoms do point towards it and it could be a good possibility that you are suffering from it. It is not nothing but infection of the small intestine. It has to be treated with antibiotics like ciprofloxacin and metronidazole for 7 days following which pro biotics (good bacterias) have to be given.

Less possible causes in you maybe

1. Amoebiasis

People suffering from amoebiasis have similar complaints but here stools will be slightly blood stained and people have fever which is missing in your description

2. Malabsorption syndromes

3. Inflammatory bowel disease
The description given by you is quite typical of inflammatory bowel disease except the blood stained stools and also severe crampy pain, loss of appetite and loss of weight.

I would like you to XXXXXXX a gastroenterologist soon for a physical exam and also some additional blood work like complete blood count and stool routine. He might want to do a colonoscopy as well.

For now please use the following advises

1. Avoid spicy and oily food
2. Avoid milk and milk products
3. Eat regularly and on time. Do not skip meals
4. Exercise regularly. Atleast half hour a day for 5 times a week. This will reduce the stress levels as well.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health