Have intermittent pain in the center of chest and severe back ache. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

I have intermittent pain in the center of my chest and have severe back ache on the lower section of my back.
please advise.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later

Thank you for your question.

You do not give many details about the pain or your general health but I have some suggestions.
One of the commonest causes of chest pain associated with back pain is acid reflux. There may also be some acid in the mouth and the pain is made worse by acid foods.

Another cause would be an ulcer in the stomach or small intestine. This would produce pain radiating through to the back.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas which can produce severe pain in the stomach area moving to the back.

Other causes of chest pain may be related to the heart.

I would suggest you consult your doctor who may wish to run some tests to help identify the best treatment.

I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger