Have intermittent chest pain, hurts while lying down and coughing. How to get relief?

I have intermittent chest pain that hurts most when I lie down or cough. It doesn't remain at one spot and sometimes goes through to my back. I have no fever. I woke up with this yesterday and couldn't go to work today.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

Kindly provide me the information of the side of your chest pain and exact location of the spot? any association with breathing or exertion? any symptom of shortness of breath? is there any history of chest trauma or pressure? cough is dry or productive?

will be waiting for your response

Follow-up: Have intermittent chest pain, hurts while lying down and coughing. How to get relief? 1 hour later
Thank you for replying.

The pain is not focused on one particular spot, although it mainly hurts on the right hand side of my rib cage when I cough. When I lie down it is all over the chest through to my back. Breathing doesn't affect it, even if I take XXXXXXX breaths. There is no history of trauma or pressure, I woke up with this on Thursday morning. It feels a bit like the stretch pain when you swallow something far too fast but it's not concentrated in my stomach or food pipe. My cough is dry and I feel like I frequently need to clear my throats and I have this for many months, my doctor cannot find the source of the cough. One other thing I have noticed since Thursday is an intermittent facial tick on my left cheek, nothing painful more annoying- I don't know if this is relevant.
I have no temperature or flu likes symptoms and otherwise I am feel fine.

I think this describes this as best I can.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 17 minutes later
Thanks for the detailed reply

No doubt you had the best description of your symptoms. The symptoms does not seems to be of inflammation of the gall bladder which causes pain almost below the 9th rib of the right side. there are also some associated features like nausea or vomiting and loss of appetite..
it can be due to plueritic chest pain due to the inflammation of the pleura resulting in chest pain
An additional cause can be of liver often occurs in hepatitis. so therefore some laboratory investigations are recommended for proper evaluation like
complete blood picture
Liver functioning test
Serum Amylase
USG Abdomen
Meanwhile you can use simple pain killers like diclofenic sodium/ibuprofen/mefnamic acid for pain relief

feel free for any further queries