Have intermittent burning sensation in stomach and soreness. No loss of appetite, had appendix out. Cause?

Hi, for three weeks I have had burning sensation in my stomach and left abdomen area. There is also soreness. This comes and goes. It will be with me for 3 or 4 days then gone for 2 or 3 only to return. No loss of appetite or weight. I had my appendix out two years ago. It was big and smooth and pathology was clear. I am 59, male, perfect health, on the thin side. What could this be and what should I have checked. What recommendations and questions to ask my doctor?
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be gastritis or GERD.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The symptoms which you have described can occur possibly be due to acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia (in this a part of the stomach goes above the diaphragm – the muscular partition of chest and abdomen), acute inflammation of the gall bladder due to gallstones (cholecystitis) or acute pancreatitis.

You may need UGI endoscopy to find out the cause.

An ultrasound should be done to rule out the possibility of gall bladder disease. Doing blood tests like serum amylase and lipase should help in ruling out pancreatitis.

A CECT scan of the upper abdomen is the gold standard test to rule out acute pancreatitis.

It makes sense to consult a gastroenterologist for the same .

Drugs like omeprazole and antacids along with prokinetic drugs like domperidone/itopride should help you in improving the symptoms. You can get these prescribed from your physician.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.