Have intense pain on left calf while standing. What could be the reason?

going on a week now when i stand up intense pain left calf can only stand for a few minutes
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details on your problem to opine better and advice you specifically.

Do you have swelling, redness or change in consistency in the affected area ?
Did you injure your calf or ankle ?
Are you on any medications for other reasons ?
Is there any injury nearing the affected calf ?
Have you taken any medication for the same ?
Is such pain experienced in any other muscle group ?

Waiting for your reply,
Follow-up: Have intense pain on left calf while standing. What could be the reason? 11 hours later
no swelling or redness about two weeks ago my lower back started hurting had trouble geting up and down for about a week or so but was fine after standing the intense pain in calf is only when standing doesn't matter if left foot is even touching the floor. pain stops as soon as i sit it started day after lower back problem went away
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 50 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for the information.

The description of the pain provided by you makes me suspicious about the lumbar or sacral nerves involved.The history of pain while getting up adds to this fact.Here it could be a spondylosis which is now compressing the nerves and causing pain in the calf.This is a typical presentation and is called reticular pain.Such pain is most of times associated with numbness in the affected area rarely numbness may be absent.

I would suggest you to go for a MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the lower back ,which will provide detailed insights into your problem and help in management.

Apply Diclofenac gel over the affected area for pain if no response ,do take medications like Tramadol for which you may need a prescription .Hence, consult your treating doctor for the same.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.