Have inner ear symptoms, nausea, dizziness, balance problems and asked head exercise to realign rocks in brain. Suggest?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
inner ear symptoms-nausea-dizziness-balance problems, sitting,standing, and walking. What is causing these symptoms? What is meant by "rocks loose in the brain, need to be lined up again. Dr. recommends head exercises to realign these "rocks". Is there treatment for this condition? Dr. says there is nothing else can be done for this health problem
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo,

Detailed Answer:

Hello and thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon who has good experience in treating giddiness.

I have understood what you are suffering from. We Call it the BPPV or benign positional paroxysmal vertigo.

In this condition, there are small stones or rocks as you called it which are called the otoliths which gets disturbed from their place and migrate to another place and cause the giddiness.
Although it sounds very complicated, it's a very common cause of giddiness and in most cases it is a self limiting condition.

All you need to do is wait for the stones to either dissolve or get back to it's original place.
During this time which can last for around two weeks to a month, you need to do everything very slowly and avoid sudden moments and bending down or looking suddenly up.

While climbing stairs always hold the side railing..

To my patients I would usually give betahistine 16mg thrice daily after food for two weeks. your doctor will know about this.

If it persists then you need to do an exercise called the epleys which you can easily google and if you need the steps i can help you with that.

Meanwhile do not strain and do not worry.

Hope All your doubts are clear, i would be more than happy answer any more

Dr Sriram Nathan