Have infected earlobe with fluid discharge. What medication should be done?

ENT Specialist
My son (now 19 months) had grommits put in in XXXXXXX 2012. With every cold he catches there is some discharge from his ear. This is anything from light to dark yellow. He has some pain. Is this to be expected as fluid drains from his ear? Previously we have treated with antibiotic ear drops, but beginning to think the continual use of antibiotics could be counterproductive. What should I expect/do.
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms you have described are the features of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM). CSOM is the long standing infection of the middle ear secondary to blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

He will definitely require antibiotic ear drops, but before using the ear drops the secretions have to be sent for a culture and sensitivity. With this investigation one will be able to find out the type of bacterial growth and the antibiotics it is sensitive to. Along with that your child will require a nasal decongestant such as saline nasal spray. Avoid water into the ear. Encourage your child to drink plenty of warm water.

With these above measures, the child will definitely recover faster and the eardrum will heal within a week. Best of all, is to consult a good ENT specialist for a complete examination of the ear and aural toilet. Without regular cleaning of the ear by the doctor, the ear drops will not reach the middle ear; which can delay the process of healing.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon