Have indigestion problem resulting in pain in chest radiating outward into the top of the shoulder. Advise?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi, Dr. Narasi,

I know I have mild to severe indigestion. I can usually control it but my question is this: When I feel the indigestion, I also have a nagging pain in the right upper part of my chest - radiating outward into the top of the shoulder. Is this anything to be too worried about? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Regarding your symptoms, we need to exclude a gall bladder disease, such as cholecystitis (inflammation of gall bladder) or gall stones (cholelithiasis). So, please get an ultrasound of abdomen to rule out these conditions.

If gall bladder disease is excluded, then there is no need to worry, as right abdomen pain may normally radiate to top of shoulder.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Have indigestion problem resulting in pain in chest radiating outward into the top of the shoulder. Advise? 9 minutes later
Thank you very much!

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 minute later
Thank you and take care!