Have indigestion problem, pass gas and stomach fullness. Had alcohol consumption. Bilirubin and SGPT elevated. Suggest?

My bilirubin level (T) 1.68 and SGPT 59.4. Do I need to worry? May I know what could be cause?

Last month it was bilirubin(T) 1.6 and SGPT 51. I had been having alcohol regularly before last three months.

I have a some indigestion problems now. passing more amount of gas in a day. stomach fullness and feeling to go to toilet 3 times per day after mild stomach pain.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Your total Bilirubin levels and SGPT levels at this point do not really require you to bother. With is past history of alcohol consumption, its fairly within normal limits. Also, these measurements are subject to physiological changes, exercise, diet and technique used in blood collection. Especially for SGPT less than 70 does not generally raise any concerns. Its but normal to experience such variations, and considering that they still remain within normal limits of clinical significance, no need to bother now.

It might be necessary for you to have a proper clinical examination. It would be interesting to have an idea of whether you have any past history of gastritis, stress or change of eating habits lately. Any changes ion staying hungry for long periods or lack of a vegetable, fruit or fibre XXXXXXX diet. Have you curbed or reduced exercise lately? All these factors have effects on gastric function and intestinal motility.

In your case, it is possible that you have either gastritis due to the mild pain, a functional colopathy ( change in stool habits with episodes of diarrhea and constipation that interchange themselves with no organic cause) or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. A clinical evaluation is necessary to rule out any organic disease.

Starting with simple lifestyle changes could be useful. Eating regularly, drinking abundant water of fluids, avoiding late night meals, eating a vegetable/fruit and fibre XXXXXXX diet, doing exercise and avoiding foods that irritate the stomach especially during a crises period is advisable (alcohol, spicy foods, Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs). Drugs like antacids, anti spasmodics (drugs that reduce excessive intestinal contraction). A stool examination and taking medicine against intestinal worms like mebendazole or Albendazole could be useful.

I suggest you consult your primary care physician for a proper clinical review and any laboratory tests if need be. I think my suggestions could offer you some relief.

Should you have any specific worries, do not hesitate asking any further questions. Wishing you the best of health, kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.

Follow-up: Have indigestion problem, pass gas and stomach fullness. Had alcohol consumption. Bilirubin and SGPT elevated. Suggest? 39 minutes later
Thank you for your answer sir

I have had the gastritis issue before one year but it was cured automatically.

But Now having this problem around six months. I did a stool examination. only concerned thing was undigested food particle in stool. other then that everything was fine in the report.

My concern is SGPT and bilirubin count has increased when compare to last month.

Finally, Just want to confirm is there anything serious going in my digestive systems and liver
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 10 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Thanks for your insightful response. It s reassuring your stool exams was good. The present results should not raise any concerns or specific problems with respect to liver disease. Present results do not indicate any apparent liver damage.

As I mentioned earlier, the increase is not really very clinically significant. It becomes an issue if the values continue to rise again when you do the next control, preferable in two to three months time. Levels below 60 should really raise no concerns. However, a complete evaluation of liver integrity involves SGPT, SGT< Gamma GT, Hepatitis A , B , C and D screens. A abdominal ultrasound can be asked. These exams are not asked systematically. They are asked based only on some risk factors.

In your case, no worries for now.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking further questions if need be. Thanks once again and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.