Have increased heart rate, hot flashes in chest and raised BP. Is this due to anxiety?

I have times when I am doing nothing out of the ordinary and I will have increased heartbeat, rise in BP, with heat flush that starts in my chest, goes to my head and into the area of my groin. I have had work up on my heart, and doctors are saying just aniety. I have a hard time believing that because I have been woken from sleep when this has happened. Have you ever heard of anyone else having these symptoms? I never know when it will happen , can go from every week to nothing for a couple of months. Feel shaky for about a day after.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 57 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the inquiry,
the scenario you describe is very characteristic of moderate to severe anxiety. Many patients do present with these symptoms.
You need to play an active part on your won to alleviate such symptoms. Exercise, walking on a regular basis might help. Group sports have also been shown to help better. If you can remember a particular or particular circumstances or situations that when you think of, or go through, bring these symptoms to mind you might have to avoid them as much as possible. Be positive towards life, think simply and see that life is good. Be conscious that everyone has problems and yours might really be too far from being the worst.
The drugs you are taking deserve constant evaluation of the heart function. I would advise you get a cardiologist examine you and run work ups at least once a year.
Getting a permanent and good psychiatric followup shall be a good idea. It is formidable idea too to seek to have sessions with a psychologist from time to time.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD., quick recovery,
Follow-up: Have increased heart rate, hot flashes in chest and raised BP. Is this due to anxiety? 26 minutes later
I have had pulse if 180 and a BP of 224/110 with this, this is when my head gets hot and feels like it is going to burst. My BP is normally low 100/60 or so, you geeky think this is aniety? It just really scares my, that I can wake up with this while in a peaceful sleep.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
Thanks for the questions,
Anxiety could lead to an increase in blood pressure, but as high as over 200mmHg systolic. With the fluctuation pulse and BP, I would suggest other causes of these increase in BP be investigated. The commonest of these causes is a Tumour called a phaechromocytoma, which is located in the adrenal gland, just above the kidneys. It might produce excess amounts of noradrenaline, a blood pressure increasing hormone that could responsible for these symptoms. If you make an appointment with the cardiologist and suggest screening for phaechromocytoma and thyrotoxicosis, that shall be fine. Absence of these two conditions could make us comfortable to think that the increase is actually only due to anxiety.
Thanks as I pray you get the best of health. See a cardiologist, its important to have a clear cut exclusion diagnosis for these blood pressure hikes.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Have increased heart rate, hot flashes in chest and raised BP. Is this due to anxiety? 1 hour later
That test was done and I was told it was high normal, they said the stress could make it that high. You can see how frustrating it has been.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your question.
If phaechromocytoma and thyrotoxicosis have been excluded, and you are sure they have, then we shall be sure that these fluctuations are due to anxiety. At times these tests need to be repeated to be very sure. Errors can be human. I would humbly wish, if possible, that you get another cardiologic consultation and screening for these conditions. If they stay the same, then we shall be ok with a clear mind.
It shall be frustrating and bad if we stay back mean while some other explains symptoms. I am not doubting your physician or results, but some errors might happen in medical practice and laboratory.
If you could see it this way and do lie a verification or confirmation test, it shall be an ideal idea by me.
Thanks for understanding and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.