Have increase in nasal bone and frequently catch cold. Advised for surgery. What could be the cause?

I have a increase in nasal bone from my childhood. I don'y have any problem as such. But I frequently catch cold. Previously i was examined by a ENT specialist and he suggested me for surgery. Kindly advice if there is any medication for it and the risk it posess in future.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

You probably have a Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS). If I were your treating doctor, I would suggest you to go in for the surgery for correction of DNS (Septoplasty is the name of the surgery).

Permanent solution for this is to undergo the surgery. Temporary measures or medications include steam inhalation, avoidance of cold foods, treating blocked nose with Nasovion nasal drops.

Septoplasty is a safe surgery; you need a day's hospitalization for it. In fact, you can return home the same day. There are no possible risks in future.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more queries.

Follow-up: Have increase in nasal bone and frequently catch cold. Advised for surgery. What could be the cause? 8 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. what are the after surgery precautions and by what time i will be back to work.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

You need to watch for active bleeding from the nose post the surgery for at least 6 to 8 hrs. If there is no active bleeding, you may return home.

You must be able to get back to work after a day's rest at home and once the dressing is removed.