Have implanon, bleeding, tender breasts. negative tests. Could I be pregnant?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have the implanon in and have not had a period all the way through, I am now in my 3 rd year needing it out next month. I have had a bleed a couple of weeks ago which haven't had all the way through using implanon. In the last week I have been feeling very sick and have got tender breasts, also going to the toilet frequently, could I be pregnant? I have done 3 tests and are showing neg, I also have blood and protein in my water but no horrible effect of a water infection,( been to docs and given me antibiotics for an infection ). I have 3 children already and the only time I have felt like this is when I have been pregnant with them. Please help can you get negative results with implanon in. ( I also read that if you are overweight which I am, 5 ft 3 and 12 st that implanon is only effective fir 2 1/2 years ).
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 24 minutes later
Hello ,
Your symptoms can be due to pregnancy though it is very unlikely since you have tested negative.
The implant is over 99 per cent effective, which means less than one in 1,000 women using it over three years will become pregnant.
Pregnancy tests pick up hormones that are only produced during pregnancy. Hormones from contraceptive methods won't affect the test.
Its not that overweight females are protected only for 21/2 years. The contraceptive lasts for three years. You will get a smaller dose of hormones in year three than year one but its enough to stop ovulation (releasing an egg).
There is a possibility of your symptoms being caused by hormonal disturbances caused by the infections or antibiotics but then it should not last longer than a couple of weeks.
So , to conclude, the risk of pregnancy in your case is very small and can be ruled out by an ultrasound pelvis.
I would advise you consult your gynaecologist if your symptoms persist for more than a week to get a confirmation by some tests like blood beta hcg or ultrasound .
Hope I have answered your query.