Have impaired glucose tolerance. What does the reports suggest?

Aug 2012

I would like you to go through my attached scanned copy of my medical reports and give me your feedback.

I had my first test done on 5 XXXXXXX 2012 and followup test on 10 Sept 2012

Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 39 minutes later

Thank you for this query.

I went through all your reports and the prescription given to you.

You have been having impaired fasting as well as post-meal glucose since at least the month of XXXXXXX 2012. We call it IGT- Impaired glucose tolerance - a state which most of the times comes much before you develop XXXXXXX diabetes (in diabetes, your fasting sugar jumps above 140 and the post meal goes beyond 200).

After may be some efforts of exercise and dieting you are able to bring your fasting sugar down to less than 120. But your post meal sugar is on the rise. And clearly this cautions you about future risk of developing diabetes. So please do not give up your diet and exercise. I cannot suggest much weight loss in you as your weight is appropriate for your height, but please do not let it go up even by 1 kg as that increases the risk of developing XXXXXXX diabetes faster.

Your calcium was near lower limit of normal and hence your doctor asked you take the test of Vit D and it is low. This is very, very common condition in general public these days. But I would say the prescription of Inj Arachitol is not at all appropriate. We generally do not suggest such high doses of vitamin D over weeks. Only 3 lac units of Inj Arachitol once and repeated one more time after a week would do. This can be followed with Calictrol XXXXXXX (oral form of Vit D) once a month on regular basis. That's it. Your calcium will return to normal and you will not have vit D toxicosis. Discuss with your treating doctor.

As of higher sugars and higher bad cholesterol (LDL), please make sure your diet is as simple as possible with minimum fats from butter/oils/ghee/fried items/sweets. Eat ample of salads with simple salad dressings. Avoid junk meals in the form of burgers, pizzas, heavy noodles etc. Home-made food is always best. Stick to that and exercise regularly.

After another 3 months, say in December 2012, repeat fasting, post meal sugar tests, lipid profile, thyroid profile and HbA1c tests from the same lab as it is NABL certified lab.

As of now no medications for the increasing sugars or cholesterol. After 3 months we shall take decision depending on tests reports.

One very important thing I want to know - are you married? If so, you are 30 years, have you completed family or planning for pregnancy in future? These answers are important to decide on medications in the future and also to keep very, very strict watch on sugars.

Hope this feedback helps; write back for further clarifications.

Good luck!!!