Ask a Dentist   »  

Have impacted wisdom teeth and prescribed antibiotics. Painful. Should it be removed? Will it affect daily work?

I Have Impacted wisdom teeth and doctor has prescribed antibiotics to be consumed for 3 days, and advised to take X-ray. Most probably it has to be removed due to the pain I am going through every now and then, So I want to know whether it will be more painful and affect my daily life and work ?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
minimal pain and swelling,can continue work.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

During removal of impacted wisdom teeth, my patients experience mild to moderate pressure but not pain, as this procedure is carried out under local anesthesia.

So, you can expect little discomfort in the form of pressure and moderate swelling but not pain. Post extraction there is mild pain.

Once the teeth are extracted and soon before the effect of anesthesia wears off you can take a pain killer, as I advise this to my patients.This will give you prolonged relief for next 3 to 4 hours. Apply ice externally intermittently or eat ice cream.

Locally there will be mild to moderate swelling too. This should not worry you. This is normal body response and it will subside on its own in 48 hours.

Please note this is minor surgical procedure and it will not affect your daily routine. You can go to work post extraction.

But, in my clinic I suggest my patients to take rest for sometime, as vigorous activity or talking might induce bleeding from the freshly extracted socket.

Therefore if it is possible take adequate rest for 3 to 4 hours but remember this totally depends upon your desire to work or rest.

Also you must follow post extraction instructions for faster recovery.

Hope I have answered your query in detail.

For further doubts please let me know.