Have ileo colonic anastomosis and bowel obstruction. Lower back pain, cramping and nausea. Should I have a lysis of ahdesions done?

Excellent

Question
I'm a 56yr female 5yrs post op end to side ileo-colonic anastomosis pt.(precancer 1 ft removed) 3 days post op bowel obstruction (MRSA, Septic, and other infections) had extensive l-tach care. Now having issues with adhesions on anastomosis site having blockage every 8-10 days lower back pain cramping and some nausea rt lower quadrant pain. Should I have a lysis of ahdesions done? Who should I go see The gastro or the general surgeon? I had a colonoscopy in July 2013 gastro tried to stretch the area not successful to constricted like a rubber band. Want to keep the rest of my colon as long as I can.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lysis should be done. Surgical gastroenterologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

The symptoms you are suffering may be due to the adhesion.

1. Should the lysis of adhesion be done?
Yes. this should be done to prevent any further complications.

2. Whom to consult, The gastro or the general surgeon?
Consulting the surgical gastroenterologist is better for complete management. Even general surgeon with good experience will handle this.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.

Follow-up: Have ileo colonic anastomosis and bowel obstruction. Lower back pain, cramping and nausea. Should I have a lysis of ahdesions done? 19 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. Do you think this will be done Laparoscopic or Laparotomy?

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Laparotomy is better. Can be done in both.

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for writing back.

For lysis of adhesion with past history of your surgery laparotomy is the best. Can be done even with laparoscopy.
If your doctor is very experienced with laparoscopy and if he trusts he can do with laparoscopy then you can go ahead with laparoscopy or else laparotomy is the best in your situation as he can completely visualize and take necessary steps where required.

Hope this helps you. Wish you better recovery and happy life.

Follow-up: Have ileo colonic anastomosis and bowel obstruction. Lower back pain, cramping and nausea. Should I have a lysis of ahdesions done? 10 minutes later
Thank you so much
will follow up with surgeon soon.

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wish you good health

Detailed Answer:
Hi its my pleasure.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish you a very happy life and good health.