Have idiopathic lung fibrosis and interstitial lung disease. Taking acetylcysteine. Have shortness of breath, dry cough, knee arthritis. Please advise

Pulmonologist
Question
Dear sir I am male67 years104kg I was diagionised idiopathic lung fibrosis/interstitial lung disease in nov2006. I take every day 4 tablets600mg of n acetylcistine. I am also under treatment doctor who is MD in allopathy and MD in homeopathy. I also take Ayurvedic herbal medicines. I do breathing exercise one hr every day. My lung working 40 percent. My doctors says that my disease Stablise and not progressing further. My current symtoms(1) short o. breath and 8 to 10 bout of dry cough after taking bath/ after lunch and dinner / if I climb 4floor / I walkdo brisk walk for 200 mts . I do have sever orthoartheritis of both knee joint. Pl advise thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

2. Since your disease is static at present without further progression, I would recommend no addition/ modification of your current regime.

3. However 6 monthly pulmonary function tests, 6 minute walk test and yearly DLCO monitoring, if available is recommended.

4. Meanwhile for the cough and breathlessness you may need to get your pulmonary function test done and accordingly inhalers, bronchodilators and antibiotics may be prescribed, in consultation with a Pulmonologist.

5. If you had previously taken steroids for more than a month then the osteoarthritis of knee joint could be related to that.

6. Osteoarthritis needs to be evaluated by an orthopedician and managed accordingly. Meanwhile you may take an anelgesic like tb. voveran for the osteoarthritis. A Dexa scan is usually indicated for diagnosis of osteoporosis.

7. Also yearly CT thorax scans are indicated for monitoring the progression of IPF (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis).

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Have idiopathic lung fibrosis and interstitial lung disease. Taking acetylcysteine. Have shortness of breath, dry cough, knee arthritis. Please advise 2 hours later
Dear Dr.Mishraji,

Please advise why short of breath & bout of dry cough after lunch/dinner and after taking bath.

Thanks,

XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the follow up query.After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following.

1. Your cough may be due to the IPF / Secondary infection associated with IPF / Airway hyper responsiveness.

2. You need to get your fresh chest xray PA view (digital) , pulmonary function tests and blood counts done.

3. In consultation with a Pulmonologist you may then be started on antibiotics, inhalers, short course of steroids and other medications as per your reports.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB