Have i not got my period due to chicken pox or am i pregnant?

Hello, my cycle is always 28days but this month I havnt come on and it's now the 34th day but since Sunday I have had brown discharge. I recently visted Dominican republic and whilst there I caught chicken pox and I also taking avloclor anti malaria tablets could these be the reason why or am I pregnant?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later

Stress on the body associated with any illness, whether bacterial or viral like chicken pox can effect the menstrual cycle and can cause its delay.

However first possibility for any missed periods is pregnancy and if there is a history of any unprotected intercourse then you should get pregnancy ruled out by a pregnancy test.

You can do a urine for pregnancy test and while doing a urine for pregnancy test, there should be appearance of two lines which corresponds to a positive pregnancy test. You have to add two drops of the first morning sample of urine taken in a sterile container to the pregnancy kit and wait for a few minutes. If there is appearance of two vertical lines ( on T and C which are test and control) then it shows positive pregnancy test but if there is only one vertical line over C ( control) then it means negative pregnancy test.

You can also go for blood test which will give you more confirmatory diagnosis of presence of HCG and pregnancy. Ultrasonography is the best confirmatory test for a viable pregnancy and if your missed periods are due to pregnancy, it should come positive on an ultrasound scan.

So my advice is to get a serum HCG test and an ultrasound done from a radiologist after consulting your gynecologist and if pregnancy is completely ruled out then we need to investigate for other causes of missed periods.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.