Have hypothyroidism and lately all symptoms have been more severe. Blood test normal. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi I have hypothyroidism and lately all my symptoms have come back but more severe than before. My doc said my blood is normal? I feel awful all the time. Could it be anything else
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello
If your blood reports are normal, then you obviously do not need to taper with your dose that you take for hypothyroidism.
You could evaluate yourself for diabetes, calcium and vitamin D deficiency and thyroid antibodies, as they could sometimes lead to similar symptoms.
If you are obese or overweight, please strive to achieve an ideal BMI also.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have hypothyroidism and lately all symptoms have been more severe. Blood test normal. Suggest? 8 minutes later
My problem is with my condition I've tried everything to lose weight but I'm still gaining it. I'm only on 50mg a day if eltroxin but my symptoms are continuing to worsen. I've also found lately that I've swollen glands in my neck, underarm and groin, pain my Joints(mainly fingers)and when swallowing. But doc said my hormone levels are fine, then my period arrives a week early. Its getting hard to function. I'm lost and getting no help????

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
If your reports are fine, hypothyroidism is not the answer here to your problems.
The trouble is obesity, which is leading to all the subsequent problems.
Please consult a proper dietician and exercise therapist and formulate a weight loss plan.
If your BMI exceeds 40, consider bariatric surgery.
Also consult a Rheumatologist for the swollen glands and the swollen joints, as it could be early arthritis.

Follow-up: Have hypothyroidism and lately all symptoms have been more severe. Blood test normal. Suggest? 6 minutes later
I've had all of these symptoms prior to my recent weight gain and my bmi is currently 28, which I know is high and the sole reason I sent back to the doctor the my issues. I'm on a low calorie diet and doing excerise 3 times a week and I'm gaining weight??????? That's not caused by obesity???

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Well, if you are gaining weight despite efforts, you are somewhere taking in more calories than expending them.
Also, have a complete endocrinological evaluation, as sometimes, adrenal hormone dysfunction or raised prolactin hormone levels also could cause such weight gain.
As I said, vitamin D deficiency also needs to be ruled out.