Have hypothyroidism. Will this affect pregnancy?

i have hypothyroidsm and my TSH value is 16.63.Will this affect of becoming pregenant?
and If i become pregnant at this time will it be safe?need some suggestions...
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Welcome to HCM!
Hyperthyroidism or having an overactive thyroid can pose special concerns during pregnancy. When the body delivers too much thyroid hormone, both the mother and the baby can suffer. Miscarriages, premature births, and intrauterine growth retardation can occur. Pregnant women with hyperthyroidism can also develop high blood pressure, and are at greater risk of heart conditions. The mechanisms by which thyroid problems interfere with fertility are often unknown. While a thyroid condition can sometimes complicate the process of getting or staying pregnant, the good news is that when your disease is properly managed, most of you with thyroid conditions whether hypothyroid or hyperthyroid can have a safe, uneventful pregnancy and delivery. Taking your medications, keeping your thyroid levels including TSH and T4 under control, getting regular care with a specialist familiar with treating pregnant thyroid patients and urge your doctor to perform the necessary blood tests to keep your levels in check, and taking charge of your own health appears to be key to a successful outcome. Hope I have answered your query, if there are no further clarifications, will request to kindly close and rate it. Thanks
Follow-up: Have hypothyroidism. Will this affect pregnancy? 18 minutes later
I think u haven't read my question properly.
I have been asking about hypo and not about hyper.I need some reply to my question not a general answer.Is my TSH values is too high?will it block of becoming pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 19 minutes later
Thanks for your kind response, I meant thyroid disorders in totality (hypo & hyper) have an effect in pregnancy. Yes, hypothyroidism can cause anovulation (failure to ovulate) directly. Hypothyroidism during conception and pregnancy should be treated as its effect can be on neurological development of the baby. You should ensure normalisation of your TSH and then repeat serum T4 and TSH after 3 weeks and depending upon the levels, doses can be adjusted. Clinical hypothyroidism in early pregnancy found that the miscarriage rate was higher in both groups and that treatment with thyroid hormone could reduce the miscarriage risk. Hope I have answered your query. Thanks