Have hypothyroidism. Taking tyroxine 100mg. Experiencing blocked ear with discomfort. Related?

Hi I have hypothyroidism (recently diagnosed hirshimoto disease). Tyroxine has just been increased to 100mcg from 50mcg...currently i am experiencing continuous blocked ears and at times discomfort... is this related??
My T3 is 4.5
TSH 6.0
T4 15
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Hypothyroidism is associated with a myriad of symptoms including , but not limited to,hair loss, fatigue and weakness, weight gain,intolerance to cold, constipation.

Everyone is different and may experience different symptoms with the same condition but the feeling as though the ears are blocked is not known to be as symptom of this condition

It is usually related either to physical blockage of the ears, for example with wax or to eusthacian tube dysfunction.
Eusthacian tube dysfunction can be treated in a variety of ways including yawning, frequent swallowing, antihistamines, nasal sprays that are used for allergic rhinitis. A decongestant may also be helpful.

If the symptoms continue, it may be important to visit an ENT doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have hypothyroidism. Taking tyroxine 100mg. Experiencing blocked ear with discomfort. Related? 9 minutes later
Thankyou for your reply.
I just wondered if an enlarged thyroid wouldnt put pressure on the ear?? It just seemed to be noticeable when my TSH were high...I also have low levels of progesterone and now take 250mcg progesterone torche...can these 2 hormone imbalances be connected??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Hi, the thyroid if enlarged may apply pressure to the throat and structures in the neck but would not have any effect on the ears.
Again, persons experience illnesses differently but it is not a documented symptom of hypothyroidism.

It is thought that there is a connection between progesterone and thyroid hormone though the exact details have not been completely worked out. It is thought that it may be possible that the thyroid hormone stimulates progesterone in a small way , so levels of the thyroid hormone may have a possible impact on progesterone.

In addition progesterone levels drop as women age as menopause approaches.

Feel free to ask any other questions