Have hypothyroidism. Not getting pregnant. Any relation?

Sep 2012

I have hypothyroidism was w my ex for 6 years and didnt get pregnant until the end, no birthcontrol and miscarried at 4 1/2 months, now ive been with my recent boyfriend for 5 years, no birthcontrol, and still havnt got pregnant. Will i ever?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 25 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query here.

First of all, you have a history of miscarriage. It indicates that you need a meticulous investigations. Because many conditions can give rise to this type of situation. Most commonly, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, presence of antiphospholipid antibody in blood and genetic abnormality can give rise to this situation. Some other problem like cervical incompetence is also important.

As in your case, cervical incompetence should excluded apart from doing other investigations.

So, to start with, do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen first. Presence of polycystic ovarian syndrome should be noted. In case of polycystic ovarian syndrome, treatment is mandatory with metformin and oral contraceptive pills.

A recent thyroid profile is second test. Besides you have to do a complete hormonal profile including, LH, FSH, estradiol and other hormones.

The semen analysis report of your partner is also required. So, do it.

From the above mentioned investigations, it can be said, what the actual problem is.

Till then, try to have intercourse between 10 to 18th days of your menstrual cycle. And take the thyroid medication regularly. And do not worry, now a days there are many modern techniques which can help you overcome this type of problems. But, first the problem should be identified.

Lastly, you have to consult with an infertility specialist in person for detailed clinical examination and for ordering required tests and also for further management accordingly.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.