Have hypothyroid and lymph nodes in neck. Get swelling after drinking alcohol. Can alcohol trigger hypothyroidism?

I have hypothyroid and lately the lymph nodes in my neck have been swelling the day after drinking alcohol. They go down a couple of days after that. Can alcohol trigger hypothyroid attacks?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No. Alcohol does not trigger hypothyroidism.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, thanks for using XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern.
1. Alcohol does not trigger hypothyroid attack. You are required to take the medications for hypothyroidism as routine basis.

2. Consumption of Alcohol can cause lymph node swollen in few patients. The lymph node you had may be due to alcohol or to any infection or other cause like lymphoma also. So I advice you to consult your doctor once for examination and investigations if required.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Consult your doctor for further management.
Wish you good health. Take care.