Have hypothyroid, am pregnant. Will it affect my baby or will it also get hypothyroidism?

i have hypothyroid and im pregnant now.. but my thyroid levels are under control .. will that affect my baby in any means or is there any chance that my will also have hypothyroid??
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Hypothyroidism in pregnancy is a critical issue and has to be dealt with care.

Hypothyroid mothers who are not on treatment carry risks of giving birth to children who are deficient in thyroid hormone leading to growth abnormalities, mental retardation, stunted babies, etc. However as your thyroid hormones are normal “you need not worry about them”.

Close monitoring of thyroid hormones - T3, T4 and TSH is required. This has to be done ideally every trimester as thyroid hormone requirement increases in pregnancy. Please make sure you see an endocrinologist and follow up with the doctor every trimester.

Now coming to your second question of whether your child will be hypothyroid

1. A child born to an euthyroid (state of normal thyroid hormone level) mother will usually not have hypothyroidism. But congenital hypothyroidism can occur in 1 in 4000 babies; so your child should be screened for it after birth.
2. The most common form of hypothyroidism is hashimoto thyroiditis and it appears only during the second decade of the life. Be sure to screen your baby regarding the same

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish you good health and safe pregnancy