Have hypoechoic lesions. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Feeling numbness in hands. Any solution?

Question
Hello, I have Bilatteral undefined hypoechoic lesions within my Thyroid lobe. Left is 1.7cm and the right is 3.7cm found by an Ultrasound. I am scheduled for the biopsy August 24 which see a long time to wait. For the past year I have had no energy and had my synthroid adjusted by my Endo, but it never helps. Along with having zero energy, I have pain in my neck and I can feel the bumps. In addition, many times when I eat food get stuck and will not go down, therefore, I must try and make myself vomit to get it out. Then after a few hours I can swallow. I have Hashimotos and take 125 synthroid. Was diagagnosed hypothyroidism 20 years ago. I have recently gained 30 pounds and it makes no sense to why. I am very moody and get angry for little things. I feel like I am not getting the care I need. I want the biosy done soon and they don't seem to care. Also, the past week i developed numbness in my right arms and hands. Also, my arm is swollen. Thank you
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. The reason for doing biopsy in your thyroid nodules is to assess their characterisitics and rule out malignancy. These sort of thyroid nodules are occassionally seen in hashimoto's thyroiditis. There is no urgency for biopsy as these nodules are not responsible for any of your current symptoms.
The treatment you are getting for Hashimoto's is appropriate and that's the best that than be done. The symptoms you are complaining are not realted to your thyroid problem per se. You cannot attribute these symtoms to hypothyroidism because your thyroid status is normal with treatment. The problems you are complaining of definitely need treatment and have to be addressed separately from thyroid problem.
See any ENT specialist for your throat problem. Your thyroid nodules are too small to cause obstruction of eesophagus and dysphagia. It is an independent problem.
You need to take multivitamin supplementation, vitamin D and calcium tablets to help your low energy levels. These sort of symptoms are difficult to treat many times because they also have an underlying psychological basis. Yoga, meditation, music and prayer can all help in overcoming these symptoms.
I wish and hope that you'll soon overcome these symptoms and return to your nrmal self. From an endocrine and thyroid perspective the treatment you are getting is appropriate and don't have to worry too much about it.

Get back to me for any pending queries.

XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have hypoechoic lesions. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Feeling numbness in hands. Any solution? 9 hours later
I have felt tired my entire life. When I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started to take synthroid everyday it helped slightly. I just don't understand how so many people suffer with this and have no energy. I have taken the vitamins you mention for years and still felt tired. What else can I do to have energy?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 29 minutes later
Yes you are right there is no quickfix for this weakness problem. Suppose if you do all the bllod tedys im them they may turn out to be normal. there is no specific treatment for this sort of problem. watch sunrise and sunset in a calm garden and try to energise yourself in that divine atmosphere.participate in social and service oriented events. turn a deaf ear to criticism. try to be content with what god has given.ifther was any medicine which could hav helped you i would hav prescribed you even if you had not asked for it. you can consult a psychiatrist if u feel you are depressed. XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have hypoechoic lesions. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Feeling numbness in hands. Any solution? 5 hours later
There has to be a way to feel well with hypothyroidism. Also, I have memory troubles. Do you think these growths on my thyroid could be cancerous?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Well most patients with hyypothyroidism feel good. Very occassional patient has a problem. Memory has nothing to do with your thyroid problem. You need to resort to un conventional ways to improve memory and energy levels like yoga, meditation, prayer and other such things. Your thyroid nodules donot appear to be cancerous to me but thefinal confirmation will be from biopsy. We will wait for that.

Shivaprasad