Have hypo thyroid with high BP. Had an abortion. Why do i feel cold?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
my temp normally is 96.5 if my temp goes to 98 is that a fever? it feels like one. i have hypothyroid, high blood pressure, both for which i take medication, i also had an ablation done about 2 1/2 years ago,but my temp has always been low as long as i can remember, my mothers temp runs low also and she does not have any of my health issues.
when ever i have been sick and say i have a fever people {dr's, nurses, etc.} they just seem to blow it off. is there a name for it, is it a condition? i know its not hypothermia because i'm not cold all the time the weather effects me normally!
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Since you are suffering from hypothyroidism your basal metabolic rate is going to be very low. As a result your body temperature is also going to be on the lower side. However for optimum functioning your thyroid hormone levels have to be normal. This can be accomplished by thyroid hormone replacements. AS long as your thyroid hormone levels with treatment are normal you do not have to worry at all.
I hope this answers your doubt regarding hypothermia.
With regards
Follow-up: Have hypo thyroid with high BP. Had an abortion. Why do i feel cold? 12 hours later
I'm confused as to the fact that I have only, within the last 5 years, been diagnoised with hypothyroid and I have been on medication for it but as I said before I have had the low temp all my life,also my mother does not have thyroid problems (hyper or hypo) and she also has a low temp.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 15 hours later
Thanks for the feedback.
If your temperature is low from the beginning then you need not worry at all. If it had been a recent onset phenomenon then it would be a cause for concern. As long as the thyroid hormone levels are normally maintained and your functioning otherwise is normal you do not have to worry.Since your mother also has body temperature on the lower side it appears to be inherent issue with temperature center in the hypothalamus. It does not merit any treatment at all.
I hope this answers your doubt.
With regards