Have hypo-thyroid and taking levothyroxine. Having abnormal periods. Related?

Excellent
Question
I have hypo-thyroid and currently take 75mcg of levothyroxine daily. My menstrual cycle started a few weeks ago and has not stopped for at least 4 weeks now. I've had abnormal periods before but never quite like this.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
check TSH levels

Detailed Answer:
Hello
At age 30, the commonest cause of irregular /abnormal cycles is hormonal imbalance. Since you already have thyroid dysfunction, first it is important to investigate that. You should get a thyroid function test done to see if your levels are normal. You may need a higher dose of levothyroxine if your levels are high.

If the test is normal and thyroid is not the problem here, you will need further blood tests and an ultrasound of the pelvis to rule out pathology. For the time being, to stop the bleeding you may take tablet tranxemic acid thrice a day for 5 days. Meanwhile get tested again.

Hope this helps you

Follow-up: Have hypo-thyroid and taking levothyroxine. Having abnormal periods. Related? 5 hours later
Thank you, I have changed my diet recently as well I suppose that could effect my hormone levels. Is tranxemic acid something I can buy over the counter or do I need a prescription? Previously, the GYN would not do an ultrasound but did a sonogram can that see the same things the ultrasound can see?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tranexemic acid can be bought otc

Detailed Answer:
Your diet will not affect t the hormone levels. It's something the body produces . You can buy tranexemic acid otc but it comes under various brand names like pause or trapic 500. You can one tab thrice a day. Sonogram is will show if there is any pathology . If you doctor has already done it then it must have been normal . In that case hormonal imbalance is likely to be the cause here .

Follow-up: Have hypo-thyroid and taking levothyroxine. Having abnormal periods. Related? 3 hours later
Thank you very much! I cannot seem to find any otc tranexemic ancid.. the only thing I can find is Lysteda and it requires a Dr. perscription. The sonogram was a few years ago so I guess I might need another one. Today I seem to have pretty bad cramps and heavy flow as well. The cramps haven't been an issue until today. Thanks again for all of your help!

Brief Answer:
Lysteda is tranexemic acid

Detailed Answer:
Lysteda is a brand name for tranexemic acid. You can take that.It will help with the heavy flow. I guess it depends from place to place about what drugs are available otc.You should see your doctor tomorrow and get that prescription. And yes,an ultrasound is warranted at this point.