Have hyperthyroidism. Diagnosed with loss in bone density. What can be done?

Can hyperthyroidism case loss in bone density? I was confirmed to have hyperthyroidism last XXXXXXX and had been taking medicine until last month. I did a bone density check today and was told it's a little bit low although not too serious. What should I do other than taking calcium tablets?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Dear Madam,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem you are right in saying that Hyperthyroidism may be the cause behind your decreased bone density at such young age .There are various studies to suggest that hyperthyroidism is associated with reduced bone density, osteoporosis, and an increase in fracture risk . It is due to accelerated bone remodeling .

Yes, calcium supplementation is a good idea. There should be a regular regimen for weight-bearing and resistance exercises as they increase the bone strength. Have a healthy diet . Cut back on smoking and drinking.

You must get your Vitamin D levels checked . Well if you require any drug for this problem, depends on bone density and your treating doctor's evaluation . There are a number of drugs like bisphosphonates being widely used for this purpose but I don't think that you, at this point require some kind of therapy .

Hope it suffices .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Have hyperthyroidism. Diagnosed with loss in bone density. What can be done? 26 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. Shruti!

Can Hyperthyroidism cause kidney stone as well? In the check-up this morning, doctor notices that I have a 9mm*2mm stone in the left kidney. Since I don't feel anything or have other symptoms, she thinks it's fine to left it there. She suggests me to drink more water.

My blood test shows Calcium level is normal. I'll get my Vitamin D level tested as you suggested. What is this test for? What if Vitamin D level is higher/lower than normal?

Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 16 minutes later

Thanks for getting back.

Genrally renal stones are related to parathyroid abnormalities.

Hyperthyroidism in some cases by leading to abnormal bone metabolism causes hypercalcemia in 20 % patients leading to renal stones.

In your case calcium levels are normal so may be it is not the cause.

Vitamin D is responsible for intestinal absorption of calcium and phosphate and plays a major role in bone metabolism and general well being also. Its deficiency is associated with weak bones , bodyaches etc.

Dr. Shruti