Have hypertension, migraines, numbness in limbs. MRI shows burden of white matter disease. Could you interpret it?

Question
i am a 37 year old woman and i have severe hypertension185/115 i also get migraines sometime 3 or 4 times a week. i get numbess in my left hand or foot, sometime my left arm (i am left handed though) i had a mri done on my brain and am wondering if you coud interpret it for me.
scattered foci of t2 and flair hyperintensity within the two XXXXXXX whiter matter both cerebral hemisheres. the largest is seen in the right frontal lobe and measues 5 mm in diameter. the number legions is more than would be for this particuler age.. there is a burden of white matter disease in the supratentorial brain. the findin is non-specif however the differential brain diagnosis includes demylination, migrains, microangiopathic change and vasculits.
then is says note made of mucosal thickening and opfacification within the left sphenoid sinus.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

Your MRI findings are not particular for any cause. Diseases mentioned in MRI report are most likely possibilities, but in my experience most of the times there is no underlying cause for these white matter hyper-intensities which needs active treatment. In your case migraine is very likely cause of this.

Ideally a follow up MRI should be done for this after 3 or 6 months to see interval changes in these hyper-intensities. This can make picture more clear.

So at the moment you should not be overly worried about this and seek a neurology consultation.

Mucosal thickening in sphenoidal sinus means infection, so a course of antibiotics can take care of it.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have hypertension, migraines, numbness in limbs. MRI shows burden of white matter disease. Could you interpret it? 12 hours later
i also have a displaced disc and it's disentgrating in my right jaw. i am always am in a lot of pain. my life is always plagued by pain. this is not a good life. i also had blood test and it showed my adrebal levels by one or two pm is 4 times higher than normal, same with cortsone levels..i am 37 and am about 120lbs. this is too much for me to bare. in canada our wait times are very long. i have to wait a year to see a dr about my tmj and god knows how long i have towait for a neurologist..i am not sure what to do anymore. should i be concerend?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later
Since no active treatment is needed for this, you should not be overly concerned.You can see neurologist at some later date.There is nothing more you can do on your own.

In case you want to discuss about other health issues that is your jaw and disc, you will have to open new question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have hypertension, migraines, numbness in limbs. MRI shows burden of white matter disease. Could you interpret it? 4 minutes later
that's the problem it is all in my head..thought drs would want to know all the details. if you were in the pain i am in you wouldn't tell me not to be concerend? not happy with this answer.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later
As suggested earlier you need a follow up MRI and neurology consultation.

Regards.