Have hypertension, high cholesterol, family history of heart attack and dementia. Done with MRI of brain. Is it curable by medication?

my MRI Brain is showing "bilateral long TR hyperintense noted in bilateral fronto parietal lobes showing restriction on DWI-S/o Ischemic foci" what does it mean? i have have hypertension, high cholesterol and strong family history of heart attack and dementia. what will be the future risk for me?what are the tests i need to undergo further? is it curable by medicines? kindly respond my query.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to lower down blood cholesterol

Detailed Answer:
Ischemic foci means an area which is prone for getting dead due to compromised blood supply. Your MRI is suggesting that area in the brain. THis may be due to atherosclerosis induced by high lipid content of the blood. Your lipid profile reveals high cholesterol, triglycerides which are harmful one and lower HDL which is a good one. Treadmill also shows borderline report meaning patient is prone for ischemia in heart.
What I feel is you must start aspirin, statins like atorvastatin and the drugs for your hypertension. Let the blood report normalise. You can repeat the treadmill and MRI brain after one year...

Best wishes
Follow-up: Have hypertension, high cholesterol, family history of heart attack and dementia. Done with MRI of brain. Is it curable by medication? 38 hours later
Hello dear doctor,
Does the ischemic foci will go away with the use medicines? (or) the aspirin is meant for just to contend the growth of foci?i mean,is it completely curable? further, as far as my heart is concerned,is it required to go for angiogram at this stage? how to improve HDL level?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 20 hours later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX a cardiologist for starting these drugs

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up,
Ischemic foci often improves with medication. Aspirin decreases the tendency of platelet aggregation with in the atheroslerotic foci, thus helps in decreasing the tendency of occlusion of the vessel lumen.
Statins like atorvastatin helps in improving blood cholesterol level and its related consequences of atherosclerosis.
I think you must visit a cardiologist for all these. Angiogram I think will be too early to be advised at this stage...

Best wishes