Have hypertension and take benicar. Noticed irregular heart beat. BP 130 to 140 and 50-70. Frequent urination. What can be done?

I am a 75 old male, exercise for two hours of so (walk/jog/streanth train) almost everyday and fit. I used be a marathon runner. I have hypertension and take Benicar, I also have BHP and take Flomax & Finasteride. My BP is 130's to 140's/50-70's, My heartbeat is 50's. Recently, I have encountered several occasions of irregular heart beat (rapid beat and also skipping beat) and at the same time I have to urinate every 1 to 5 minutes constantly for a while. It lasts anywhere from a few minutes to 4 or 5 hours. I also noticed recently, my heart beat just skips frequently, especially after exercise. I have seen some doctors here, but didn't get much help..
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your question today. I am so sorry to hear about the recent irregularities you have been having with your heart beat and the long standing battle with hypertension and BHP.

Your blood pressure is well controlled and your heart rate for a physically fit person(marathon runner) is also normal. Congratulations for staying true to your treatment regimen!

From your symptoms it sounds like you have a a non sustained heart arrhythmia. The best approach to this is to get a baseline ECG for you. If the results are not conclusive, then you will need to get a holter monitoring which consist in wearing a heart monitor over days. This will continuously record all heart activities for the entire time. These recordings shall then be downloaded and analyzed using a computer program. These two tests should at least identify the specific abnormality so that we can start tailoring specific treatment to this problem or asking for more detailed related tests.

Urinating every 1-5minutes constantly for a while is very strange. This is because the bladder cannot fill up in such a short interval. The only explanation could be that you have overflow incontinence during these periods which releases just a few extra volumes of urine. You may want to check how much quantity of urine you pass during these episodes and also find out if the lower abdomen is abnormally distended to suggest this. I wish to ask whether you are continent during these periods, too.

In all, I think you will need the services of a cardiologist and urologist. I will advice that you start with a cardiologist and move on from there. If you have more questions related to this query, please feel free to ask me and I will be happy addressing them. I hope this problem get figured out soon and appropriate treatment options proposed to relief you of all the inconveniences caused by this.
Dr. Ditah, MD.