Have hurt toe. Advised for removing nail to prevent infection. Have hypothyroidism and hypertension. How to cure fast?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I hurt my big toe on my left foot and the doctor says that he had to remove the nail, as there seems to be some bacterial infection under it. What should I take or not take, to ensure all goes well. I have stopped taking my anti-coagulant Plavix since three days. WHat would assist in better healing and in pre-empting complications? I am 70, and have hypertension and hypothyroidism.
This is not a question, just wish to add that I am allergic to penicillin, aspirin and almost every pain-killer except Panadol [paracetamol] as I had an anaphylactic episode once and had to be hospitalized. I would prefer an orthopedic specialist to respond. Many thanks
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
To take care of the infection under the big toe, it is best to remove the nail.
It is good that you have stopped taking anti coagulant already. You must be taking broad spectrum antibiotics as prescribed by your surgeon.
In addition, it is best to avoid weight bearing on the foot and keep it elevated on two pillows post operatively to reduce pain and swelling. Doing a hot fomentation in the area 48 hours after the surgery will help in early healing by increasing the blood supply to the area.
To make you heal faster, dietary modifications and some lifestyle changes do play an important role.

1. You need to abstain from alcohol and smoking, avoid caffeine - tea, coffee, colas. Take calcium and vitamin D3 supplements as prescribed by your orthopedician.
2. You need to give adequate rest and immobilization of the affected foot for a faster healing.
3. The foods you need to take include yogurt, milk, dry fruits- dates & almonds, apples, soybean, broccoli, red grapes, peanuts, oatmeal and sesame seeds.
4. Lysine, Boron, Zinc, Vitamin C and Vitamin K supplements do also play a major role in healing along with calcium and Vitamin D3. You can add a multimineral supplement to your daily routine.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have hurt toe. Advised for removing nail to prevent infection. Have hypothyroidism and hypertension. How to cure fast? 3 hours later
Thanks for the detailed advice. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHETHER i SHOULD take my blood pressure medicine and have some lunch before the surgery which is in a few hours, and if so, how much earlier should I do this?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
You can take your blood pressure medicine as scheduled.
You can have a light easy to digest meal at least 6 hours before the surgery to avoid any post operative nausea and vomiting.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.