Ask a Dentist   »  

Have huge gap between teeth. Should I be worried for plaque?

Dear Sir / Madam,

There is huge gap between my teeth, So many time the food struck in it. Each time i am cleaning properly. And i visited a dental clinic in chennai the doctor told that is no need to worry and the teeth are fine. But now i know by reading a book that this is happened due plaque decay and symptoms are same. I want check and confirm have to take the further treatment for filling mercury alloy
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 58 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing your query,

As you have mentioned in your clinical history, you have got spaced dentition, problems of plaque deposition and sensitivity.

I would like to add this to your knowledge, how gaps in between the teeth affect the dental health:
Large gaps in between the teeth act like self cleansing areas and usually do no lead to food lodgement. But small spaces incorporate food debris and irritants.

Bacterial decomposition of this impacted food debris produces an acid that leads to erosion of the tooth enamel leading to dental caries or decay.

Bacterial deposition leads to formation of sticky substance on the teeth surfaces called dental plaque and hard deposits called calculus.

Deposition of plaque and calculus in the gum pockets and root surfaces of the teeth leads to gingival inflammation, recession of gums, exposure of the roots and pain and sensitivity. If not treated in time, the degenerative process leads to tooth mobility and finally exfoliation of teeth.

So I would suggest you to consult a dentist and get an OPG radiograph done which will show the entire picture of level of gums, bone loss and teeth spacing.

Accordingly get the oral prophylaxis done.
You need XXXXXXX scaling of the gums and root planning of the teeth surfaces to remove the plaque and other irritants which help in reducing the sensitivity.

Use desensitizing tooth paste and mouth wash for oral rinsing.

Spaced dentition can be treated by orthodontic measures, as your age is 32, talk to your orthodontist about the treatment plan.
Other method to treat spacing is restoration of the teeth by composite fillings or by prosthetic cap coverage.

I hope I added to your knowledge.

If you have any further doubts feel free to write to me.

Take care,
Dr.Farah Hussain.