Have huge boil on inner thigh, using mupirocin ointment and has bursted with blood oozing. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
hi, i have a huge boil on my inner thigh, i was using mupirocin ointment on it now, however the same has bursted now, it has oozed only blood and not pus, that too the boil has partially bursted and not completely. it has stopped to bleed now, should i apply soframycin cream or mupirocin on the boil now?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drain, C/S, Dressing, Oral meds, Investigations

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. It is advisable to get such a large boil examined. If it has partially drained, it is better to complete the drainage. Daily dressings will help. This will speed up the healing.

2. The pus and discharge should be sampled for culture (C/S). Oral antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication will help. Mupirocin or Soframycin are both good ointments to use locally. Use Betadine liquid to clean the area first.

3. You should get investigated for any blood sugar problems, anemia, resitant bacteria, hormonal imbalance and other immunosuppressive conditions.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.