Have hot itch on left arm. Occur before period. Having burning sensation. Hormone related?

I have a flaming hot itch on my upper left arm only.i have had this a long time. Yes it does occur a week or so before my period . The burning sensation even wakes me up at night.
Is this hormone related?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The precision you give that it is cyclical and you have been noticing it before periods could make one to think in that direction. However, it would be very appropriate to actually do a proper clinical evaluation and follow up before standing for this assertion. It s somehow unusual for some hormone related events to be this localized, and present in such an atypical fashion.

It might be necessary to know for how long you have been having this itch? If the itch started from the very start of your periods of sometime later? Knowing if you have noticed any particular circumstances or events that aggravate the itch or relieve it. Any other accompanying signs and symptoms for the itch like a rash, skin eruption, inflammation? These precisions might be very useful in orienting the diagnosis.

Is this pain usually accompanied with other symptoms like cramps or muscle weakness? Proper answers to this questions, coupled with a keen monitoring of this hot itch over two or three periods to see actually how it evolves could be very appropriate. In case it is hormone related, specific hormonal therapies would be prescribed to diminish the symptoms.

If not, other possible causes of hot itches, based a physical examination during the hot itching period could be very helpful. I suggest you book an appointment with a gynecologist for a keen follow up of this health concern. I do not think it should be something very serious. A proper diagnosis shall orient appropriate treatment and follow up. Feel very free asking further questions in case you need clarification on specific issues. Will be honored contributing to your health. Best regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD.