Have hot flush from neck to head and blurred vision. What could be the reason for metallic taste?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
About a week ago I felt a hot flush rise from my neck to the top of my head followed by blurred vision. It lasted about 20 seconds but was followed by severe belching for the next hour. This has happened several times since and leaves me with a slight headache for a while after and a metallic taste in my mouth. I have no gas pressure or bloating and the hot flush is limited to my head.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Analgesic+Multivitamin & multimineral supplements Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Any history of recent illness? 2. Sensation of hot flush, blurring of vision, etc. can be secondary to Hypertension, Diabetes, Hormonal or Metabolic imbalance. Is there is significant past history of systemic disease like Hypertension, Diabetes, Thyroid disorder, etc. ? 3. Any recent history of Stress, improper nutrition & lack of sleep? 4. Any history of prolonged intake of certain medications? If your answer to the above mentioned questions is NO, then the symptoms can be attributed to inadequate hydration status & electrolyte imbalance of the body or dietary deficiencies of certain nutrients like Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B 12, Folic acid, etc. which help in blood formation & nerve conduction. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of: 1. Analgesics like Paracetamol (to be taken after meals) 2. Pantoperazole + Domperidone (to be taken 30 min before meals) 3. Multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet. If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels and Thyroid profile to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms. A CT scan or MRI of brain will also be helpful. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & nutrition status, avoid stress, exercise regularly & practice meditation. Wishing you a Good Health. Please feel free to write back to us for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Take care.

Follow-up: Have hot flush from neck to head and blurred vision. What could be the reason for metallic taste? 15 minutes later
I HAVE been under extreme stress for the past couple of months and, due to a job change, have been averaging 4 hours of sleep a night. I'm not sure how the symptoms fit.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 days later
Brief Answer: Attributed to Stress/ Tension Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your follow up query. Under such circumstances, your symptoms can be attributed to Stress/ Tension. Symptomatic relief can be obtained with intake of medications as mentioned in my previous answer. And it is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as: 1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods 2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration 3. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc. 4. Avoid smoking & alcohol. 5. Take adequate sleep of 8 hrs at night 6. Keep away stress, think positive. 7. Exercise regularly & practice meditation. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.