Have hit head. Have swelling down to eyebrow and eye was black and lump on forehead is swollen. Suggest?

I fell this past Sunday while getting out of my bed and hit my head on the corner of a dresser. There was a laceration right at the hairline and swelling down to my eyebrow and then several inches into the hairline. There was not a lot of bleeding. The next day my one eye went black and then the next day the other eye become slightly blackened. The eyes are getting better, but the lump on the forehead, although reduced, is still swollen. Is this what I should expect? I have not been nausous, faint, dizzy, etc. No other side effects.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The swelling on the forehead at the site of the trauma is a normal initial response to injury. It is due to the release of different chemicals in the body that cause the increased fluid into the surrounding area.
It can take a few days to resolve and the lump may harden due to the formation of scar tissue.
The use of ice packs and facial trauma (in person who are punched) as well as head trauma such as your self.

In some persons with head trauma, it is sometimes used as an indicator a fracture of the basal skull or basilar skull fracture. In this case it is called 'racoon eyes or panda eyes.

If this was not present then it would be ok to say to observe but the fact that there is a history of this discolouration means that it would be best to see your doctor for assessment.
It may not be anything of concern but a fracture has to be ruled out by an imaging investigation.

The fact that there are no symptoms of headache, nausea or dizziness is good and means the imaging may be normal but it is best for it to be done to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions