Have hirsutism due to PCOS. Suggest some treatment or cure to get rid of it?

Dermatologist
Question
Sir I have hirsutism due to PCOS earlier the hair were on chin only now they have started growing all over my face.It looks very bad.I am having laser sessions for my chin area it's been 1 and a half year though the growth has reduced it hasn't gone completely.I am very afraid that if my facial hair grows a little bit more I might have to have laser done there too and same will happen with this hair too.Isnt there another way out?I have heard of a cream which reduces hair growth-containing eflornithine or something of that sort.Can it help?
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kruti 6 hours later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

I can understand your concern regarding the hair growth. It can be quite distressing.You can surely use eflornithine cream, its to be applied twice a day. It is to be used in conjunction with any other method of hair removal, in your case it being laser.In cases of Pcos, laser alone will not control the hair growth, Pcos also needs to be treated with anti androgens. Once the hormonal imbalance is controlled, then the laser works better.Laser will not completely remove the hair, it just makes the thick dark hair into fine light hair.You can apply eflornithine cream daily, for atleast two months, if you find a difference you can continue it till three months.Hope my recommendations are useful to you.

Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have hirsutism due to PCOS. Suggest some treatment or cure to get rid of it? 17 hours later
Mam the thing is that my gynaecologist made me undergo ultrasound and had my blood tests done,they were-testosterone,estradiol,DHEAS,LH,FSH,Prolactin,TSH,Blood glucose-the blood tests were all in normal range but the doctor said that because the ultrasound shows typical cysts in ovary,your diagnosis is PCOS but because your serum levels are normal I am not prescribing you any antiandrogen.So she gave me Evecare capsules and told me to reduce weight.One of my friend has PCOS too and she was prescribed antiandrogens and the cream and her hair have reduced considerably(Her hormone levels were abnormal though),I want to ask you can't I be given anti androgens too?And about that cream with eflornithine do I need prescription for that?If yes could you kindly suggest name of best company for that cream and the name of the cream by which they sell it.And any special precautions and side effects and one more thing I have laser treatment like about every 2 months (because my growth takes this much time to appear again) how to use that cream with it?Should I apply it only when i have a laser session or after it ie. how to time the application of cream as you mentioned that ' It is to be used in conjunction with any other method of hair removal, in your case it being laser'.
Thank you mam in advance

Answered by Dr. Kruti 8 hours later
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

Wherever there is a diagnosis of Pcos, we usually prescribe XXXXXXX or similar other medications which contain the drug called cyproterone or drosperinone along with ethinyl estradiol.
These drugs are given so that they can correct any hormonal imbalance and keep in check the menses, acne and hirsutism.

I would recommend that you take it in point of view of your hirsutism. But you need to take it under the supervision of a doctor, it would be the best to consult an endocrinologist for the same.

eflornithine is marketed with the brand name eflora.

It has to be applied twice daily starting if possible from today. It has to be applied till you have a laser session, not on the day of Laser, and restart it three days after laser.

You have continue it after the laser as well.

It should be applied for 8 weeks and if you find an improvement then to be continued further.

There are no side effects, its safe.

It can be applied once in the morning and once at night on the areas which have excessive hair Growth.

You don't need a prescription.

WWW.WWWW.WW
You can review this article I have written on eflornithine in the journal.

Regards.